- About us
- Destination Flyways
- Georgia Product Development
- STREAM (Sustainable Tourism through Energy Efficiency with Adaptation and Mitigation Measures)
- Training on Tourism and Biodiversity
- PEEK (Programme for Energy Efficiency)
- Indonesia: Tourism Development supporting Biodiversity conservation in Pangandaran
- Thailand: Biodiversity and Tourism development in the Phang Nga Province
- Contact us
World Migratory Bird Day 2014 - Destination Flyways: Migratory Birds and Tourism
World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD), celebrated every year on the second weekend in May, is an annual campaign aiming to raise awareness on the need for increased protection of migratory birds and their habitats.
For the 2014 WMBD campaign, UNWTO joined forces with our Destination Flyways partners, the Convention on Migratory Species (CMS) and the African-Eurasian Migratory Waterbird Agreement (AEWA), to highlight the links between migratory bird conservation, wildlife watching tourism and community development around the world.
Celebrated under the theme "Destination Flyways: Migratory Birds and Tourism", WMBD 2014 took place on 10-11 May 2014 and focused on how sustainable tourism can serve as a catalyst for biodiversity conservation by channelling humanity’s fascination for wildlife in general and migratory birds in particular.
Like migratory birds and tourists, the WMBD Photo Competition, which was organized on the occasion of the WMBD celebration, was able to cross frontiers and reach many different locations. In total, 37 stunning photos of migratory birds taken in 22 different destinations around the world were received. Find out more about the winners of the WMBD competition:
For more updates, make sure to follow WMBD on Twitter and Facebook: