- About us
- Destination Flyways
- Georgia Product Development
- STREAM (Sustainable Tourism through Energy Efficiency with Adaptation and Mitigation Measures)
- Training on Tourism and Biodiversity
- PEEK (Programme for Energy Efficiency)
- Indonesia: Tourism Development supporting Biodiversity conservation in Pangandaran
- Thailand: Biodiversity and Tourism development in the Phang Nga Province
- Contact us
More on Program for Energy Efficiency in Kho Khao Hotels (PEEK)
Data collection and implementation of the first set of energy-saving measures
Inspection of the island as well as the participating hotel resorts by European and Thai experts
- Collection of all relevant environmental data for the island and the hotel resorts (including a projection of future development) as the basis for further planning measures and Preparation of a detailed energy audit of the hotels and individual energy-saving recommendations for these establishments
- Preparation of an information brochure on the project (target groups: resort operators, the public)
- Preparation of a detailed energy audit of the hotels and individual energy-saving recommendations for these establishments relating to the potential for better organization, lighting, air conditioning, ventilation, refrigeration plants etc.
- Monitoring the implementation of energy-saving measures in the hotels and a detailed documentation of the same
- Detailed calculation of the total quantity of hot water used in the individual resorts (including typical temperature requirements and consumption profiles)
- Estimated potential CO2 emission reductions, based on the detailed audit reports and incorporated them in the individual action plans for the hotels
Installation of Technologies
- Development of Tenders for installation of Solar Thermal Systems and Other Renewable energy technologies based on the results of the Audit report.
- Site visits conducted by five companies to assess the potential for renewable energy technologies for the five hotels on Koh Kho Khao (in April and June 09)
- Analyses of the tender results according to the criteria’s set and presented to the Hotels in September 09.
- Selection of the technologies, best suited to their needs, by the hotels and their installation. (The construction phase is planned to start during the off season in June 2010)
- After the construction process the equipment would be tested for performance and then would be handed over for ownership to the Hotels
Pre feasibility Study
- Evaluation of the basic environmental data of the island as well as of the hotel resorts and a comparison of various options for de-centralized power supply to the island during power cuts (approximately 40%). The following options are examined more closely as being viable for the island:
Option 1 – Power generation through a bio-gas plant run on biological wastes from hotels, agriculture and forestry
Option 2 – Power generation from a wind energy plant through the island’s exposed location on the coast.
Option 3—Power generation from Photovoltaic System
- Detailed examination of the economic viability of the option(s) and the framing of a ‘Green Energy Concept' for implementation with the involvement of the relevant stakeholder groups
Energy Efficiency Handbook (3.72 MB)
The Energy Efficiency Handbook provides practical guidance, to the tourism establishments, on how to use energy more efficiently and cut down energy costs significantly. In particular, this includes low- and no-cost measures that can be realized immediately or over a short period of time without high cost investment. The handbook not only focuses on energy efficiency measures in all major energy consuming areas of a hotel but also on the application of renewable energy technologies (e.g. solar water heating, heat pumps, photovoltaic etc.).
Workshops and Training Programs
- Kick-Off Event
Launch of Project event at Koh Kho Khao together with the hotels, community representatives and members of tourism organizations in February 2009.
- Workshop on Green Energy Concept
Community information workshop to introduce the PEEK project to the people of Kho Khao island and discuss options for the Green Energy Concept (energy supply of the island) in April 2009.
- Training Workshops on Energy Efficiency in Hotels, 24-28 October 2009
The primary objective of the workshops on “Energy Efficiency in Hotels” was to inculcate behavior of energy efficiency and environmental responsibility in Tourism related industries along Andaman Coast. The adaptation of energy efficient methods by the hotel industry, in particular, would significantly impact the green house gases emitted due to present energy consumption patterns. The locations were Kho Khao, Khao Lak, Phuket and Krabi. Very enthusiastic responses were received and there have been requests from some hotels to become a part of the PEEK project.The main outcomes of these workshops were :
- Increased awareness of the stakeholders about the PEEK project and enhanced knowledge of concept of and technical aspects of energy efficiency and various renewable/low energy consuming practices and technologies
- Identification and prioritization of different operational areas of the Hotel/Buildings where energy efficient measures can be implemented and series of steps to be undertaken
- Increased awareness of impact of GHG emissions on climate and advantages of reducing GHG emissions by using energy efficient ways including cost benefit analyses of energy efficient behavior vs. Present consumption patterns
- Exchange of ideas among different stakeholders as well as Interaction with technical specialists in energy sector, sharing of knowledge, experiences , best practices and success stories, leading to better understanding and cooperation
Recognition of the fact that adoption of energy efficient ways as well as joining energy certification schemes leads to increase in marketability and commercial viability of hotels